Some Alphas have one specific person as the MC who is a familiar face every week on Alpha, while other groups take turns. Either way, you need someone who knows how to host well. Here are some top tips for an emcee who hosts an Alpha:
Seven Top Tips for MCs:
1. MCs set the tone for the evening so be friendly, enthusiastic and welcoming. If you're running Alpha online, acknowledge people as they join the group and don't forget to smile! If you're running a large Alpha in person, assign people as greeters so no one is missed.
2. First, welcome guests and explain what to expect next (icebreaker/meal, video, discussion groups). If you're running an Alpha in person, explain how the food will be served and how long dinner will be. Briefly describe what the meal is and if there are any vegetarian options. Encourage them to enjoy the meal and get to know the people at their table with casual, fun conversation. If you're running an Alpha online, start with a fun icebreaker so people can get to know each other.
3. Continue to guide the evening along. For an in-person Alpha, give a 5-minute notice before dinner ends and the video will start. Explain where people can put their plates and cutlery, and point out where the washrooms are. If you are providing Alpha Guest Guides or the weekly handouts, tell people where they can pick them up.
4. After the video has finished, tell guests how long they will have for discussion in small groups. If the groups will be meeting in different rooms, provide instruction for this as well.
5. Provide a 5-minute warning before discussion time ends and encourage groups to continue the discussion next week if they think of any more questions.
6. End the evening on time each week to be respectful of your guests' time.
7. Conclude the evening with a sneak peek into next week's topic by providing the questions around the topic (eg. Why did Jesus die? How does his death 2000 years ago affect us now? Is there any evidence about his alleged resurrection?) This will pique their interest and motivate them to return again next week. Tell them you're so glad they came out to Alpha and that you're looking forward to seeing them again next week.